A Heart Without a Beat (ノ◕‿◕✿)ノ *:・゚✧ ฅ(^ω^ฅ)

When Lux was my owner and I was just a puppy, I used to believe in a miracle. I thought I was her miracle. I entertained her with my antics and made her laugh. She called me her child and despite the number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered pillows, I became her best friend. Whenever I was "bad," she’d shake her finger at me and asked "How could you?" - But then she would relent and roll me over for a belly rub. My housetraining took a little longer than expected because she was terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling her in bed, listening to her wishes and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice creams (in which I only devoured the cone while she had the scoop because "ice creams are bad for dogs," she would repeatedly say), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for her to come home at the end of the day. Where the sun drowned in the horizon, its rays of light glimmering in the darkness of the faded clouds. It almost looked like a sliding egg yolk and then the pale moon appears glancing at us from the stars. Gradually, she began spending more time being a princess and on her career, and more time searching for a human mate (a.k.a Ezreal). I waited for her patiently, comforted her through heartbreaks and disappointments. I have never chided her about the bad decisions that she would make, and romped with glee at her homecomings, and when she fell in love. Ezreal, now her husband, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed him into our home. I tried to show him affection and obeyed him. I was happy because she was happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared her excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them too. Only he and she worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because her touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if I needed to. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of her car in the driveway. There had been a time when others asked her whether she had a dog, and that she would produce a photo of me from her wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, she just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being her dog to "just a dog," and she resented every expenditure on my behalf. Now she has a new career opportunity in Bandle City and she and her family will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. She made the right decision for her "family," but there was a time when I was her only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, and of hopelessness. She filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave her a pained look. My world collapsed, spiralling into a deep dark abyss and shattering into small pieces. Why did life have to be this cruel to me? She had to pry her son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, mummy! Please don't let them take my dog away!" I worried for him. For all those lessons she had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for everyone has just become non-existent in the situation that he is facing with me right now. She gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with her. She had a deadline to meet and now I have one too. After she left, the two nice ladies approached me and commented, “Lux probably knew about her upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find you another good home.” They shook their heads and asked "How could she?" They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was her - that she had changed her mind - that this was all a bad dream. Or, I hoped it would at least be someone who cared for me, anyone who might save me. When I realised I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I should have been crying by now but I was to numb to even think about crying. At the crack of dawn, the loud thumps of the nurse’s footsteps woke me up. I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew Lux’s every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I licked Lux’s to comfort her. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body. I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?" Perhaps because she understood me, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place. Where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my question, "How could you?" wasn’t meant for her. It was meant for Lux, my beloved master that I was thinking of. I will always think of her and wait for her forever. Darkness gradually swallowed me and I closed my eyes in silence. All that is left of me is a heart without a beat. Plz no hate, nasty or mean comments <3 and plz post good feedbacks thank you and vote for me :D {{sticker:slayer-jinx-catface}} {{champion:99}} {{champion:81}}
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel